Braves sign closer Kenley Jansen to $16M, 1-year deal

ATLANTA (AP) — The Atlanta Braves capped a busy week with another stunning move, signing three-time All-Star closer Kenley Jansen to a $16 million, one-year contract Friday night.

The 34-year-old Jansen, who had 38 saves and a 2.22 ERA in 69 appearances for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season, is expected to take over from Will Smith as the Braves' primary closer.

General manager Alex Anthopoulos said he discussed the signing with Smith before finalizing the deal.

The left-hander had 37 saves and was especially effective down the stretch and in the postseason for the World Series champions. In the playoffs, Smith had six saves and didn't allow a run over 11 innings.

“We told him we might have an opportunity to do something like this, but we wanted to make sure he was good with it," Anthopoulos said. "Will is on board. He said, ‘If it makes the team better and gives us a chance to win another ring and have a parade again, I'm all in.'”

Anthopoulos said Smith is still likely to get save opportunities when Jansen needs a day off.

Otherwise, the lefty will work in a setup role along with Tyler Matzek, Luke Jackson and A.J. Minter. The Braves also added Collin McHugh to a bullpen that now looks like one of the team's biggest strengths.

Jansen has 350 saves in a 12-year career that had been spent entirely with the Dodgers.

He's saved at least 33 games in seven straight seasons excluding the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign, with a career-best 47 in 2016 when he was selected for the first of three consecutive All-Star Games.

The Braves have bolstered their roster with a flurry of moves, even while losing longtime first baseman Freddie Freeman to the Dodgers.

In an interesting twist, Los Angeles introduced Freeman, who agreed to a six-year, $162 million contract, on the same...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Braves-sign-closer-Kenley-Jansen-to-16M-1-year-17013171.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts