LEADING OFF: Padres depleted by virus, Harvey vs Mets

A look at what's happening around the majors today:

___

PADRES DEPLETED

San Diego shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. and outfielder Wil Myers tested positive for COVID-19, and the Padres are shorthanded heading into a doubleheader against Colorado at Coors Field.

First baseman Eric Hosmer is out for contact tracing, along with utility players Jurickson Profar and Jorge Mateo. Padres manager Jayce Tingler said Tuesday night he hoped the fallout from the virus would stop and anticipated his team could play the single-admission twinbill as scheduled to make up Monday night’s postponement. Both games are scheduled for seven innings.

Hosmer and Myers were removed Tuesday night in the middle of an 8-1 win over the Rockies, leaving San Diego scrambling for replacements.

“You never really plan out these scenarios, but we know things are going to come up,” Tingler said. “Our guys are going to be ready. If they’re coming from Triple-A or whatever, we’ve got a lot of faith in our minor league crew that’s preparing these guys."

Yu Darvish (3-1, 2.27 ERA) and Blake Snell (1-0, 4.15) are slated to start for the Padres in the doubleheader.

Tingler said he learned of Tatis’ positive test in a phone call late Monday night, but the young star was symptom-free at the moment.

“Naturally, you’re punched in the stomach a little bit,” Tingler said. “He’s feeling well. I mean he is crushed, he’s crushed inside, mentally, things like that.”

Tatis spent time on the injured list last month with inflammation in his left shoulder. He leads the Padres with nine homers and 23 runs.

Snell looks to bounce back from walking six in 4 2/3 innings against San Francisco. The 2018 AL Cy Young Award winner hasn’t lasted more than 5 1/3 innings in any of his seven...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/LEADING-OFF-Padres-depleted-by-virus-Harvey-vs-16170401.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts