Orioles' sweep sends Red Sox to 2nd 0-3 start ever in Fenway
BOSTON (AP) — The early returns certainly look good for the Baltimore Orioles.
For the Boston Red Sox, it looks a lot like last season.
Boston fell to its first 0-3 start at Fenway Park since 1948 and the second ever for the Red Sox as Trey Mancini and Austin Hays hit two-run doubles during a seven-run third inning that carried the Orioles over Boston 11-3 Sunday.
Cedric Mullins went 5 for 5 with three doubles and walk for the Orioles, collecting four of hits in the initial four innings. Maikel Franco added a first-inning, two-run double, helping Baltimore to its first three-game sweep at Fenway since Aug. 25-27, 2017.
“I think the synergy we have is really strong,” Mullins said. "Guys have been playing with each other for a few years now."
In last year's pandemic-shortened season, the Orioles finished fourth in the AL East with a 25-35 record, coming off 108 losses in 2019 and a club-record high 115 the previous year.
Boston is coming off a 24-36 record last year, that was its worst winning percentage since 1965.
“We got beat in every aspect of the game,” Boston manager Alex Cora said. “We're off to a rough start.”
The Red Sox lost their first four home games in 1948, rebounded to tie Cleveland at 96-58 after the scheduled 154-game regular season and lost a tiebreaker playoff 8-3 at Fenway.
Making just his third major league appearance, Baltimore left-hander Bruce Zimmerman (1-0) gave up three runs and four hits in six innings with five strikeouts and one walk for his first MLB victory.
“It's a long season, but, if anything, it gives a great confidence booster for this team,” Zimmerman said. “I think we're going to surprise a lot of people this season.”
The Orioles held the Red Sox to five total runs in the series.
“You've got to pitch in...
source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Orioles-sweep-sends-Red-Sox-to-2nd-0-3-start-16076344.php
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen