LEADING OFF: Nats have 3 positives, no opener Friday

A look at what's happening around the majors today:

___

SLOW STARTERS

The Nationals and Mets are waiting until at least Saturday to start their season as Washington deals with a COVID-19 outbreak. Three Nats players have tested positive and a fourth is considered a “likely positive,” according to GM Mike Rizzo.

Thursday's opener was postponed and wasn't immediately rescheduled, even though Friday already had been set up as a day off that could accommodate a game pushed back if there were a rainout, for example. Mets manager Luis Rojas said he was hopeful the teams would play Saturday.

Rizzo did not identify any of the players involved. He announced an initial positive test Wednesday, saying it resulted from testing done Monday while the Nationals were still in Florida. At the time, he said four other players were considered to have been in close contact and were quarantining. Now, two of those players resulted positive after being tested Wednesday and another had an inconclusive sample that is being treated as a likely positive.

DO OVER

Boston and Baltimore again try to start the 2021 season at Fenway Park after Thursday’s scheduled opener was postponed by bad weather. The clubs will make it up on a day off built into the schedule for just that possibility.

“One day, two days, three days — I really don’t care, to be honest with you,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. “I know there are a lot of guys that are excited, but I think it’s for the best. Tomorrow will be a better day weather-wise.”

Nathan Eovaldi is still scheduled to pitch the opener against Baltimore’s John Means.

RUSTY RUNNER

The World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers struggled with the basics on opening day — Cody Bellinger cleared the fence with an apparent homer in the third...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/LEADING-OFF-Nats-have-3-positives-no-opener-16071714.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts