The Latest: Padres hoping to have 20% capacity for opener

The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:

___

The San Diego Padres believe they will be able to have 20% capacity — or roughly 8,500 fans — at Petco Park for opening day on April 1 if San Diego County is moved into the red tier in the state’s system for determining when it’s safe for businesses to resume operations.

The county could be moved into the red tier next week.

Padres CEO Erik Greupner said Tuesday that it’s possible the team could be playing before capacity crowds at the 42,000-seat ballpark later in the season. Expectations are high based on last year’s playoff appearance, the signing of superstar shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. to a 14-year contract and the acquisition of pitchers Yu Darvish and Blake Snell.

Because of social distancing, “There’s not going to be an inch of Petco Park that isn’t going to have a pod of seating somewhere in it,” Greupner said. “The entire park will be utilized.”

He said that with season ticket holders getting first priority, single-game tickets might not be available for the first two months of the season, or even longer.

Fans will be required to wear masks. Coupled with other protocols, Petco Park “will be one of the safest places to be in San Diego,” Greupner said.

___

Duke has paused spring football activities indefinitely due to a COVID-19 cluster involving 10 athletes.

The school in Durham, North Carolina, announced the pause Tuesday, saying the cluster of cases was tied to people who attended team activities together. Those affected are in isolation.

The school said contact tracers have identified others who possibly had close contact with someone who tested positive. Those people have been notified and are in quarantine.

The team started spring practice...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/The-Latest-Ohio-State-halts-football-workouts-16011721.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts