The Latest: OHL bans bodychecking to fight virus spread

The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:

___

The Ontario Hockey League will not have bodychecking this season because of COVID-19.

Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s minister of sport, said Friday that removing purposeful physical contact from the game was necessary in preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

MacLeod said the decision was influenced by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which had several COVID-19 outbreaks on its teams this fall.

The OHL said Thursday it plans to start a shortened season Feb. 4.

___

The new Fenway Bowl is off for this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Organizers said the bowl game scheduled to take place for the first time at the historic Boston ballpark will instead make its debut next year.

The Fenway Bowl was to include teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference and the American Athletic Conference.

___

Major League Baseball has canceled an owners’ meeting and the annual winter meetings because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Owners had been scheduled to gather from Nov 17-19 in Arlington, Texas.

The winter meetings had been set for Dec. 7-10 in Dallas.

Agendas for both meetings will be conducted remotely if needed, MLB said Friday.

___

Los Angeles FC has canceled all in-person activities at its training complex after two additional players tested positive for the coronavirus.

Three total players have tested positive this week. Everyone else around the MLS club has had multiple negative test results this week.

LAFC had one positive test for a player before its 2-1 win over the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday. The additional two positive tests were conducted after the game.

All three infected players are in self-isolation and are being monitored by...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/The-Latest-Giants-ordered-home-over-contacts-15687989.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts