Eovaldi shuts down Marlins in 5-3 victory

MIAMI (AP) — Nathan Eovaldi pitched five shutout innings and struck out seven, and the Miami Marlins stumbled in their playoff run with a 5-3 loss to the Boston Red Sox on Thursday.

Rafael Devers had a three-run homer, Kevin Plawecki hit a two-run single and Alex Verdugo had three hits for the Red Sox.

Seeking its first postseason appearance since winning the 2003 World Series, Miami is second in the NL East . The Marlins fell three games behind division-leading Atlanta, which was idle.

Eovaldi (3-2) didn’t allow a hit until Garrett Cooper’s leadoff double in the fifth. Miguel Rojas singled but Eovaldi struck out Jazz Chisholm and Chad Wallach, then retired Corey Dickerson on a groundout.

“If he would have had an easier fifth inning, he probably would have gone back out for the sixth,” Boston manager Ron Roenicke said. “His pitch count was really low but I thought he did a great job. We know he competes. He located pitches well.”

A 30-year-old right-hander who was with the Marlins from 2012-14, Eovaldi was lifted after 76 pitches in his second appearance since returning Sept. 12 a stint on the injured list caused by a strained right calf.

“Good effort from him and good results,” Roenicke said.

Ryan Brasier pitched a scoreless eighth, and Matt Barnes got three straight out for his eighth save in 11 chances.

Jose Ureña allowed two runs, five hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings with six strikeouts.

Plawecki hit a two-run single in the sixth on the ninth pitch of an at-bat, chasing Ureña with a hard grounder past diving third baseman Brian Anderson. Boston had been hitless in 13 straight at-bats against the Marlins with runners in scoring position .

“I try not let the moment get too big for me,” Plawecki said. “Just control my breath, control...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Eovaldi-shuts-down-Marlins-in-5-3-victory-15575960.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts