LEADING OFF: Reds-Tigers debut MLB's 7-inning doubleheaders

A look at what's happening in the majors on Sunday:

LET’S PLAY 7!

Shortened doubleheaders are about to make their Major League Baseball debut. At least that’s the plan. In this most unpredictable and unusual of seasons, perhaps we shouldn’t take anything for granted.

The Detroit Tigers are set to host the Cincinnati Reds in a pair of seven-inning games -- a day after the teams were rained out at Comerica Park, more showers are in the forecast.

This will be the first doubleheader since MLB approved condensing twinbills to seven innings each this season. Baseball could see an unusually high number of doubleheaders due to positive coronavirus tests causing postponements, plus rainouts.

“I think that’s a good rule change especially with the pitchers going down every day,” Houston manager Dusty Baker said. “With the shortage of pitchers, that is a good rule, especially with teams losing multiple guys.”

WHO’S NEXT?

Brewers star outfielder Lorenzo Cain and Marlins rookie second baseman Isan Diaz have become the last big leaguers to opt out of playing this season because of concerns over the coronavirus.

They joined the likes of Giants catcher Buster Posey, Dodgers pitcher David Price and Washington infielder Ryan Zimmerman in choosing not to play this year.

With more and more games getting postponed because of the virus, it’s led many to wonder who else will follow them in sitting out.

Boston left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez also is done this season without throwing a pitch. The Red Sox said Rodriguez, who went 19-6 last year, is sidelined by heart inflammation caused by COVID-19.

TRY AGAIN

Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani hopes for better results when he makes his second start of the season, at home facing the Astros.

Ohtani didn’t record an out last...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/LEADING-OFF-Reds-Tigers-debut-MLB-s-7-inning-15452003.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts