Indians keeping Clevinger, Plesac away after violations

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Indians went a step further than just putting Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac into quarantine.

They've been sent away from the team, and it's not known when they'll be back.

Cleveland placed the two starting pitchers on the restricted list after the right-handers broke team rules and Major League Baseball protocols by leaving their hotel in Chicago last weekend and risking exposure to the COVID-19 virus.

“This one kind of hurts,” said Indians manager Terry Francona, who returned Tuesday from a week away to address a lingering medical issue to find his team dealing with an internal situation that could affect its season.

“We’ll deal with it like we always do,” Francona added. “We care about each other. It doesn’t mean you don’t get disappointed with each other or even mad at each other sometimes. But what I care about is making it better.”

Clevinger and Plesac went out Saturday night with a group of people following the Indians' win over the White Sox. The team had implemented a code of conduct for players to follow on road trips, forbidding them from socializing outside of the team's players and staff.

Once they learned about Plesac going out, the Indians immediately got him car service to drive him to Cleveland. But the team was not aware Clevinger had been with him until after he flew back to Ohio with his teammates, coaches and other personnel.

Team president Chris Antonetti did not divulge any details of how the team learned about Clevinger's indiscretion. Antonetti said he has spoken with Clevinger and that the free-spirited 29-year-old understands he violated team rules.

They can't be 100 percent certain, but the Indians don't believe Plesac or Clevinger came in contact with anyone who has the virus. Both...



source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Indians-place-2-pitchers-on-restricted-list-after-15476035.php

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts