The Latest: Texas football plan catches home city off guard
The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:
___
Austin’s public health authority said the city was “caught a little off guard” by the recent announcement by Texas that the school planned to allow 50% stadium capacity at Longhorns football games this fall.
Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott spoke with county commissioners Tuesday, and said it’s hard to imagine allowing a crowd of any size watch a game.
Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte wrote season ticket holders last week about plans to allow about 50,000 fans at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, even as the state of Texas remains a national hot spot in the coronavirus pandemic.
Escott says having that many people in one place is a bit of a reach right now.
School officials have noted the 50% limit is currently allowed under statewide rules.
___
The Atlanta Falcons have placed rookie safety Jaylinn Hawkins on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list.
The announcement came after coach Dan Quinn earlier said all rookies had negative tests. Hawkins, a fourth-round pick from Cal, could have tested negative and be placed on the list after exposure to the coronavirus. Teams are not allowed to disclose if a player is in quarantine.
Quinn said the coronavirus outbreak with the MLB’s Miami Marlins was a topic of discussion as veteran players arrived for training camp on Tuesday and began their testing. He said no player has discussed opting out.
___
Veteran cornerback Maurice Canady and undrafted rookie receiver Stephen Guidry have opted out of playing for the Dallas Cowboys this season because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Canady signed a one-year contract with the Cowboys after splitting the 2019 season between the New York Jets and Baltimore. The...
source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/The-Latest-French-govt-maintains-5-000-capacity-15439056.php
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen