Nats star Juan Soto positive for COVID-19, out for opener
WASHINGTON (AP) — Washington Nationals slugger Juan Soto tested positive for COVID-19 and was put on the injured list Thursday, forcing him to miss the start of the pandemic-delayed season.
“You feel bad for him. He's a great player. The fans want to see him. And it affects our lineup,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said as he announced Soto's test less than five hours before the 2019 World Series champions were scheduled to host the New York Yankees on opening day.
“But what can you do about it?” Rizzo said. “You've got to play ball. ... We’re going to have to win without our best guy. It’s a challenge.”
Soto, a 21-year-old left fielder who was a breakout star of last postseason, will be sidelined until he can come up negative on two consecutive coronavirus tests.
“He's asymptomatic,” Rizzo said. “He's following all major league protocols.”
Rizzo said the Nationals had done contact tracing to check whether other members of the organization had been exposed.
“At this time, there's nobody else unavailable because of the contact tracing,” Rizzo said.
Soto had missed the first two weeks of the team’s summer camp this month after he was exposed to someone with COVID-19.
Also Thursday, Yankees second baseman DJ LeMahieu was reinstated from the COVID-19 injured list as New York set its opening day 30-man roster before playing Game 1.
Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman and starter Masahiro Tanaka begin the season on injured lists — Chapman on the COVID IL, and Tanaka on the 7-day IL after getting hit in the head by a batted ball.
Manager Aaron Boone announced on July 4 that LeMahieu and right-hander Luis Cessa tested positive for the coronavirus before traveling to New York for the team's summer camp and said they were self-isolating at...
source https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Nats-star-Juan-Soto-positive-for-COVID-19-out-15429480.php
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen