The Latest: Kansas, Duke among schools calling off sports
The Latest on the coronavirus outbreak's affect on sports around the globe (all times EDT):
___
2:45 p.m.
The University of Kansas has announced that all athletic travel has been canceled indefinitely. That means the top-ranked Jayhawks, at this point, would not take part in the NCAA Tournament for men's basketball next week.
Duke previously suspended all athletic competition for the foreseeable future.
Kansas athletic director Jeff Long says the decision was made based on the recommendation of medical professionals.
The Jayhawks have been the presumptive favorite to be the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA announced Wednesday it would be held without fans.
Said coach Bill Self: “While we are disappointed for the players, it was the right and necessary thing to do."
___
2:30 p.m.
Football season is months away, but spring practice for college teams was in full swing around the country. That is being put on hold in many places, too.
USC and Notre Dame both announced they would suspended practice as their campuses shut down. The SEC's suspension of sport through March will also take football teams off the practice fields.
___
2 p.m.
Major League Baseball is likely to cancel the rest of its spring training game schedule due to the coronavirus. MLB probably will also announce that the start of the season will be delayed, according to people familiar with the discussions.
The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no decision had been announced. They said Commissioner Rob Manfred planned a conference call with his executive council Thursday to discuss the situation and then a call with team owners.
MLB had continued to play into Thursday, when Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis...
source https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/The-Latest-Juventus-player-with-virus-says-he-15125339.php
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen