Mayors launch task force to oppose minor league contraction
Dozens of mayors from across the United States have formed a task force opposing a proposal by Major League Baseball to eliminate 42 affiliated minor league franchises for the 2021 season.
The coalition launched Tuesday with three leaders and was up to 30 members by Wednesday afternoon, ranging from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Hillsboro, Oregon.
“All of us understand this plan is a major league error,” Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke said.
MLB and the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues are negotiating a minor league agreement to replace the contract expiring after the 2020 season. MLB has proposed cutting more than a quarter of its 160 affiliates, citing concerns over the quality of facilities, travel and player salaries.
Politicians have pummeled MLB over the plan. A bipartisan congressional task force formed last month, and Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has criticized baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred over the proposed cuts.
Mayors at a news conference Wednesday in New York City were frustrated to have been left in the dark on the MLB-NAPBL negotiations despite having provided public money for stadiums in exchange for franchises that play a major role in their communities.
Rosalynn Bliss, mayor of Grand Rapids, Michigan, estimated the West Michigan Whitecaps generate $15 million annually for her city’s economy. Others pointed to the social positive of relatively inexpensive, family-friendly entertainment in small-to-midsized cities.
“We feel like there is plenty of opportunities for us to change the course of these discussions,” Berke said. “That’s why we’re speaking out now.”
Many minor league facilities are either publicly owned or have been supported by tax dollars. Asked about publicly financing upgrades to...
source https://www.chron.com/news/article/Mayors-launch-task-force-to-oppose-minor-league-14996393.php
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen